Kivisili Community welcomes you to its official website.


History of the village

Kivisili falls within Larnaca District, with its exact position being more or less 20 km southwest of Larnaca city and situated only a kilometer away from the sea coast.  It borders with Alethriko and Mazotos villages and according to the population census in 2011 the village has 233 residents.

As far as services are concerned, the village has a post office, a small supermarket, a Coop Bank branch, a seasonal tavern and a mobile medical services unit which visits the village once a week.

The village produces mostly barley and wheat and it has a large number of olive trees and carob trees which the villagers cultivate during the corresponding time periods.

According to encyclopedic sources, the village was probably named after the corrupted name of a medieval manor called Chivisill, of Frankish origin, which was situated in the area and the Kivisili population was part of that manor.  Proof of this was the presence of the specific name in older maps.  The village was first occupied by Greeks (who gradually converted to Islam) and this is indisputably proved by the presence of the village˘s church dedicated to Panayia Eleousa (Merciful Virgin) which dates back to 1852.  It is worth mentioning that the village had a priest, even during the Turkish Rule.  It is very likely that the village has been inhabited since 2500 B.C., the Copper Age, seeing as the area has copper residues.

As mentioned before, the village is situated 20 km southwest of Larnaca, 50 km northwest of Nicosia and 58 km southwest of Limassol.  The village is accessible via the A1 highway from both cities and the time needed to reach the village from either city is 30-40 minutes.

Kivisili has two flour mills which used to move with the force of the waters of Pouzis River.